Natalie Schafer is most definitely best known for her role as the filthy rich socialite, Lovey Howell, on Gilligan’s Island. I would be amazed if anyone named a different role popping into their head first. She also made guest appearances on many popular shows such as I Love Lucy, The Love Boat, The Brady Bunch, and The Beverly Hillbillies.
This is her recipe for tuna salad. It is a simple recipe that combines tuna with hard-boiled eggs, green pepper, and green onion that is held together with mayo. It is then seasoned to taste with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Natalie Schafer likes to spread the tuna mixture thickly on a slice of bread and broil it in the oven till slightly brown and warmed through. It could easily be made into a more traditional sandwich or scooped on a bed of lettuce.
Natalie Schafer's Tuna Salad
An easy tuna salad from actress Natalie Schafer!
- 1 8 oz can tuna
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chopped hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green onions, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices of bread
- Mix together all the ingredients. Season to taste with the salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the slices of bread and top evenly with the tuna salad.
- Place on a sheet pan under the broiler until slightly brown and heated through.
- Garnish with extra green onion if desired.