Rochelle Hudson was an actress who started her career in the 1930s which lasted through the 1960s. Most probably remember her as the mother of Natalie Wood’s character in Rebel Without a Cause. She also acted alongside Shirley Temple in Curly Top. Other movies you may have seen her in is Intimation of Life, Convicted Women, Poppy or Life Begins at 40.
This is her recipe for sour cream coffee cake. The coffee cake comes together quite quick and has a delicious brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped nut layer in the center. The smell while baking this recipe is amazing. The sour cream can be quite easily substituted with plain yogurt if that is more your speed. Also if you don’t want to use the shortening just substitute another 1/2 cup of softened butter. The chopped nuts can be whatever you have on hand. I just happened to have some leftover pecans. Try this recipe you will not be disappointed. I think it is my favorite of these celebrity recipes so far!
Rochelle Hudson's Sour Cream Coffee Cake
A delicious coffee cake from the actress Rochelle Hudson.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Optional: confectioners sugar for dusting.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree and well grease a bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Into the butter mixture, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until incorporated.
- In a small separate bowl, combine together the nuts, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Place half of the batter into the bundt pan and level out the mixture. Sprinkle with half of the nut/sugar mixture. Cover with the rest of the batter, level it out and sprinkle with the rest of the nuts.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- When it is cool enough to handle turn the cake out onto a serving dish and dust with confectioners sugar. Slice and serve!
3 thoughts on “Rochelle Hudson’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake”