Jimmy Carter served as the 39th president of the United States. He was also a state senator as well as the governor of the state of Georgia. He was born and still lives in Plains, Georgia hence the name “Plains special”. Carter is also a prolific author and a philanthropist who is a frequent volunteer with Habitats for Humanity. Some interesting and random facts about Jimmy Carter are that he is the first president born in a hospital as well as the oldest and longest-living president. In 1969, Jimmy Carter filed a report about an unidentified flying object sighting. The things you can learn on Wikipedia! Honestly, it is hard to condense someone’s life achievements down to one paragraph let alone a former president. So if you want to read more about Jimmy Carter, I will leave a link to his Wikipedia page here.
This is his recipe for a cheese ring. It comes together super quickly and easily with basic ingredients. This recipe had to be a favorite because it shows up in many celebrity cookbooks. With the holiday season officially here, this would be a nice addition to any celebration. Though the recipe calls for it to be shaped in a ring, it could easily be shaped into a ball or a log. A serving suggestion is to serve some strawberry preserves with the cheese ring. It is quite delicious on its own but I do say give the preserves a try. It honestly is one of my favorites of the celebrity recipes I have posted on my blog.
If you like this recipe and are looking for other appetizer recipes by celebrities you could try:
If you want more appetizer recipes that feature cheese, check these out:
- Pimento Cheese Party Ball (1970s)
- Mish Mash Dip (1950s)
- Lively Dip (1950s)
- Blue Cheese Balls (1950s)
Jimmy Carter's Plains Special Cheese Ring
An easy cheese ring appetizer from the 39th president Jimmy Carter
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, finely grated or two tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Optional: strawberry preserves as well as extra chives and chopped nuts for garnish.
- In a bowl, mix together the cheese, nuts, mayo, onion, black pepper and cayenne.
- Either place in a lightly greased six cup ring mold or free form a ring shape on a plate or platter. Cover and refrigerate for a several hours or over night.
- If using the ring mold, un mold by letting it first sit at room temperature for a few minutes and then scoring around the edges well. Invert on the plate or platter and un mold.
- Place a bowl of the strawberry preserves (if using) in the middle of the ring and arrange the crackers around the ring. Garnish with extra chives and chopped nuts if desired.
NOTES: This spread can also be shaped into a ball or a log and rolled in chopped parsley or just placed in a bowl. Also the cayenne pepper can be swapped out for paprika.