Liza Minnelli is the daughter of famous movie actress and singer, Judy Garland and director of some of the best musicals, Vincent Minnelli. Liza is also in one of my favorite movie Cabaret and this is her recipe for the decadent Potato Shells. These are not your normal potato skins which is usually topped with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon and green onions and served with a side of sour cream. Oh no Liza tops hers with a small dab of butter, a dallop of sour cream and caviar. But that is not enough! These potatoes are extra with a sprinkle of vodka on each one.
Liza Minnelli's Potato Shells
Liza Minnelli's decadent potato skins!
- 20 baby potatoes (see NOTE on bottom)
- Olive Oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons of caviar
- 1 to 2 ounces of vodka
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Rub potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 1 and 15 minutes.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly so that you are able to handle them and then cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove some of the potato to create a well and put a dab of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in each half. (see Note)
- Fill each half with sour cream and them top with a bit of the caviar
- Sprinkle each potato shell with some vodka and serve immediately.
- In the original recipe, it calls for 4 baking potatoes that are long and slender. I could not find potatoes that fit that description. The first time I attempted this recipe I used baking potatoes that I cut in half and then in half again but it was messy to eat as these are suppose to served with cocktails. Therefore I changed it up and used baby potatoes to make them more cocktail size.
- The original recipe also calls for 1 jigger vodka but doesn’t say if it is a small or larger size jigger which is just a long way of me saying that I guessed. Also you can definitely leave out the vodka if you wish.
- If you don’t want to buy caviar, you can top these with chives, minced sauteed mushrooms or minced black olives.