Jim Nabors was an actor and comedian as well as a singer. Most may know him as the lovable and goofy Gomer Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show which the character was later given his own show called Gomer Pyle: U.S.M.C.. He was made an honorary Marine in 2001. He was a frequent guest on the Carol Burnett show appearing in every season premiere because he was considered a good luck charm. Also he had an amazing singing voice and recorded over 20 albums. For real, listen to him sing “Impossible Dream” for an episode of Gomer Pyle: U.S.M.C.
This is Jim Nabors’s recipe for Banana Bread. His original recipe made two moist loaves of bread. As most of us are usually trying to just use up the last few bananas on the counter, I did make it for just one loaf. The recipe calls for macadamia nuts which is not surprising as Nabors owned a macadamia nut farm in Hawaii for over twenty years. Now I will admit that these nuts are delicious but they are a splurge so they can be easily swapped out for walnuts. I also tested it without the nuts and it was still perfectly tasty. Last note, just keep in mind that this banana bread recipe is quite an indulgence with a stick of butter and 1 cup of sugar for just one loaf. For comparison, my usual banana bread recipe only has 1/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar. I did test it to see if 1/2 stick of butter and 1/2 cup of sugar would work and it does. I am leaving the recipe as is because a fan of Jim Nabors probably wants to try his bread and not my adapted. Just be aware that cutting those two ingredients still produces a great banana bread!
Jim Nabors's Banana Bread
A delicious moist banana bread with macadamia nuts!
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg, beaten well
- 3 bananas, well mashed
- 11/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, preferably macadamia
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease one large loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar then mix in the eggs and bananas.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into the bowl and mix until just together.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Start testing the at 50 minutes by sticking in a tester in the center of the bread it. If it does not come out clean cook for another 10 minutes. I have had this recipe take an hour and ten minutes to bake completely.
One thought on “Jim Nabors’ Banana Bread”