Don Adams is an actor who was a television staple during his long career. He is most known for playing Maxwell Smart on the popular spy spoof series Get Smart alongside Barbara Feldon who played his love interest Agent 99. My personal first introduction to Don Adams was as the voice of part man, part machine Inspector Gadget.
Go Gadget Go….I will now have the theme song suck in my head for the next month! Speaking of voice acting, others may remember him as the voice of Principal Hickey on the late 1990s cartoon Pepper Ann.
This is his recipe for a very delicious date loaf. The recipe calls this loaf moist and very rich and they were not lying. It is an easy-to-put-together recipe that has a very satisfying result. This loaf is packed full with the dates recipe so I would try to get a good quality date if your budget allows it. Also, I would warn against skipping lining the loaf pan with parchment. The original recipe called for just greasing the tin but my first loaf a complete jerk about coming out of the pan. The moistness is a plus when eating but not so much when during removal.
If you are looking for more sweet loafs from celebrities, check out:
Shirley Booth’s Pumpkin Bread
Don Adams' Date Loaf
A delicious and moist date loaf from actor Don Adams!
- 8 oz pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, place the chopped dates and sprinkle the baking soda over them. Pour the boiling water over it, stir and let it cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and the salt.
- Add the date mixture and mix well.
- Bake in the loaf pan lined with parchment paper for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Cool and enjoy!