Shirley Booth is probably most known for her role as a live-in maid on the 1960s television sitcom Hazel but she had an amazing career before that point. She got her start in 1925 on Broadway in which she had a long career on stage acting in The Philadelphia Story, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Come Back, Little Sheba, and The Time of the Cuckoo to name a few. She also acted in a handful of movies but preferred acting on a stage. Shirley Booth is also one of 24 people who has achieved the Triple Crown of Acting which means to win an Academy Award, a Primetime Emmy, and a Tony Award.
This is her recipe for Pumpkin Bread. This is a pretty basic and simple pumpkin recipe that adds raisins or dates to the mix. It is easy and tasty while being just in time for all the autumn and pumpkin lovers. If you don’t like raisins just use the same amount in chopped nuts or leave them out. Also a little ground ginger or even some fresh grated ginger mixed into the batter would be very tasty as well.
Shirley Booth's Pumpkin Bread
A pumpkin bread recipe from actress Shirley Booth.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raisins or chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 325 degree and well grease a bread pan.
- In a bowl, sift together the all the dry ingredients from flour to cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, water, canned pumpkin and eggs until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Stir in raisins or chopped dates.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.