This is the continuing saga of me trying to figure out the popularity of gelatin recipes from the 1920s to the 1970s. Each month, I randomly pick a recipe from a jar filled with the good, the bad, and the savory gelatin recipes to see which ones were worth it and which ones should stay forgotten. I post the recipe at the end if you are so inclined (or super brave) to try one out for yourself.
I feel like it has been forever since I did a gelatin post but I just looked and the last one I did was only at the end of July. I swear I sometimes have no concept of time. Now that we got my weird little tangent out of the way, the next gelatin recipe is for blueberry deluxe salad. This one is from a vintage yellow lustreware plastic recipe box I found at an antique store full of recipes. It is an easy recipe that mixes flavored gelatin with crushed pineapple and a can of blueberry pie filling. After it sets, the “salad” is then topped with a topping made of cream cheese, sour cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla.
I did make one tweak. The original recipe called for black cherry flavored gelatin but I saw the Berry Blue Jell-O (supposedly a blueberry/strawberry flavor) at the store and knew what I had to do. I was quite proud of the results as it comes out this deep and rich dark blue color. If blueberries just ain’t your bag then switch it up using different flavors of pie filling with the complimenting gelatin flavor. I also think that if you don’t like pineapple, it can easily be omitted. I would probably mix in a cup or two of fresh blueberries in its place.
Lastly, one thing to note is that if you notice in my pictures that there is quite a thick layer of the topping. This is because I double the recipe as originally I was going to do some piping with the topping. I wanted to make sure I had enough as piping can use up some frosting quickly. I changed my mind but did not want to waste it so hence the thicker layer was born. If the same outcome is desired, then just double the ingredients for the topping.
So would I eat this again? Yeah. This one was alright in my books though this really is a dessert versus a salad. I especially liked the topping which I could see being used for other things.
Blueberry Deluxe Salad
A blueberry gelatin salad found in an old recipe box.
- 1 6 oz. package (or 2 3 oz. packages) Berry Blue Jell-O ( or Black Cherry)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: fresh blueberries and almonds for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the water.
- Mix in the pineapple, pie filling and lemon juice.
- Pour into a 9×13 pan and refrigerate till set.
- After the salad has set, in a bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Spread on top of the gelatin and decorate with blueberries and almonds if using and refrigerate until ready to serve.