Yesterday was all about the 1956 teen movie Rock! Rock! Rock! and today I will be talking about the dip I made to go with it. It is called Mish Mash dip. I found it while doing research for California Dip in a 1950s newspaper article. The name is what drew me to it as “Mish Mash” sounded like a mid century dance craze so when I was planning a snack for this rock and roll teenage movie I know it would be perfect. I did not make a cocktail this time to lean into the whole teenage thing. I instead had Coca Cola in glass bottles.
Mish Mash Dip
A party dip adapted from a 1950s newspaper.
- 8 oz of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sparkling cider (can also use regular cider)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoon milk
- Chips, crackers or vegetables for dipping
- Mix all the ingredients together except salt and milk ( a stand mixer or hand mixer works exceptionally well for this).
- Add enough milk to get the correct consistency where if you dip a chip it wont break it. For me this was one tablespoon
- Serve with dippers of your choice and get ready to rock around the clock!
- The original recipe used beer and tarragon vinegar instead of the sparkling cider and apple cider vinegar that I used if apples nor cider is your thing.
- Shredding the cheddar yourself instead of using a bag of preshredded cheese will result in a better outcome in this instance.
- You can also chill this dip to get the flavors to meld more. Take the dip out twenty minutes before serving to soften a bit. You may also need to mix in a little more milk to loosen it as well.